Traineeships / Apprenticeships
What is a Traineeship?Traineeships are jobs that combine work and structured training. Although they vary from one industry to another, traineeships include:
- Earn while you Learn
- Paid employment under an appropriate industrial arrangement (for example, an award or enterprise agreement).
- A Training Contract that is signed by both the employer and employee (trainee) and registered with the respective State and Territories – Department of Education agencies. The only exceptions to this rule are trainee apprentices.
- A qualification, delivered by a Registered Training Organization (RTO), that meets the requirements of a declared traineeship in respective States and Territories and leads to a nationally recognized qualification.
How have Traineeships changed?During the past few years, a number of significant improvements have been made to the traineeship system in ACT, NSW, QLD & WA to make training more flexible. For example, some traineeships in ACT, NSW, QLD & WA can now be:
- Delivered completely in the workplace
- Customized to meet the needs of employers
- Delivered part-time
- Offered to existing workers (workers currently in the workforce)
- Offered to school students
- Established in new industries and at higher qualification levels
- Easily linked to further vocational education and training and university studies.
What areas are Traineeships available in?There are more than 100 traineeship vocations available in respective States and Territories. Traineeships generally last two years and cover traditional trade areas such as building and construction, hairdressing, cooking, the hospitality, business, office administration, finance. There are over 600 traineeship vocations introduced to provide employment and training opportunities in a range of areas, including multimedia, information technology, sport and recreation, hospitality, retail and primary industries. All traineeships (designated by the Commissioner for Vocational Training under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001) are recognized trade vocations and recognized traineeship vocations respectively under the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Act 2001.
What types of traineeships are available?There are two categories of traineeships available:
- New Entrant Traineeships. New employees who have been employed for less than 3 months full-time and 12 months part-time, or we can assist the organization to find a new employee.
- Existing Worker Traineeships. For existing employees who have been employed longer than 3 months full-time or 12 months part-time.
How is REACH going to help you?
- In ACT: REACH for Training provides Traineeships under User Choice Funding. To know more about nominated qualifications, please visit the link- ACT – REACH for Training.
- In NSW: REACH for Training provides Traineeships in the following qualifications under the NSW Smart and Skilled funding. To know more about nominated qualifications, please visit the link- NSW-REACH for Training.
- In QLD : REACH for Training provides in the following qualifications under Fee For Service:
- BSB20115 – Certificate II in Business.
- BSB30415 – Certificate III in Business Administration.
If your organization is interested in either a New Entrant Traineeship or Existing Worker Traineeship please contact REACH for Training on 1300 343 361
Your Career Pathway to SuccessIf you’re looking for a career and not just a job, why not think about a traineeship? Traineeships combine work with training so you can earn as you learn. REACH for Training provides traineeship services for organizations who either currently have:
- An employee or employees working within their organization who are interested in undertaking a traineeship; or
- We can assist the organization to employ a new trainee.
BenefitsAs a trainee, you get:
- Ongoing advice and support
- Financial assistance and
- Nationally recognized qualifications that lead to a CAREER and PATHWAYS to other opportunities
TrainingWork based training for traineeships is provided by your employer at your workplace. Additional structured qualification training is delivered by a registered training organization (such as REACH for Training) which is registered with the ACT, NSW, WA & QLD Government. This training may be delivered off the job or in the workplace. The ACT, NSW, QLD & WA Government subsidizes the cost of this training for approved new entrant and existing worker trainees. ACT, NSW, QLD & WA Government subsidized training is only available for (please view the eligibility criteria) Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents. For any further information please contact one of our Training Coordinators at 1300 361 343.