SHB30416 – Certificate III in Hairdressing
This qualification reflects the role of hairdressers who use a range of well-developed sales, consultation and technical skills and knowledge to provide a broad range of hairdressing services to clients. They use discretion and judgement to provide client services and take responsibility for the outcomes of their own work.
Potential Career Outcomes
- Hair Stylist
Who could enrol:
This course is suitable for a variety of learners such as:
- Those who would like to obtain new skills and knowledge, including those who are changing careers
- Those who wish to obtain a qualification to gain employment as a beautician
- Those employed within a salon or spa and wish to obtain a qualification and/or have their skills recognized.
This qualification includes 28 units of competency which comprises of 21 core and 7 elective units. Elective units have been carefully selected based on the industry consultation to ensure the learner achieves the desired vocational outcomes of the course.
Units of Competency:
- SHBXIND002 Communicate as part of a salon team
- SHBXWHS001 Apply safe hygiene, health and work practices
- SHBXCCS002 Provide salon services to clients
- SHBHBAS001 Provide shampoo and basin services
- SHBHIND001 Maintain and organise tools, equipment and work areas
- SHBHTRI001 Identify and treat hair and scalp conditions
- SHBHDES003 Create finished hair designs
- SHBHCLS002 Colour and lighten hair
- SHBHCLS003 Provide full and partial head highlighting treatments
- SHBHCLS004 Neutralise unwanted colours and tones
- SHBHCLS005 Provide on scalp full head and retouch bleach treatments
- SHBHCUT001 Design haircut structures
- SHBHCUT002 Create one length or solid haircut structures
- SHBHCUT003 Create graduated haircut structures
- SHBHCUT004 Create layered haircut structures
- SHBHCUT005 Cut hair using over-comb techniques
- SHBXIND001 Comply with organisational requirements within a personal services environment
- SHBXCCS001 Conduct salon financial transactions
- SHBHIND003 Develop and expand a client base
- BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
- SHBHREF002 Straighten and relax hair with chemical treatments
- SHBHDES002 Braid hair
- SHBHCUT006 Create combined haircut structures
- SHBHCUT007 Create combined traditional and classic men’s haircut structures
- SHBHDES004 Create classic long hair up-styles
- SHBHDES005 Select and apply hair extensions
- SHBHBAS002 Provide head, neck and shoulder massages for relaxation
- SIRRINV001 Receive and handle retail stock
The above elective units have been selected based on the industry requirements and in relation to the vocational outcome. REACH for Training may consider offering other preferred elective units based on the applicable training package requirements.
Up to 36 months
Training delivery method:
Training is only delivered through the Traineeship/Apprenticeship program which is on-the-job training.
Written assessment, Role Plays, Project, Practical exercises, Workplace Observations.
Minimum 18 Years
- Year 10 or equivalent; or
- Minimum 1-year work experience communicating in English
Completion of LLN Assessment at Level 2 of Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF).
- Year 10 or equivalent; or
- Completed a Certificate II or higher.
This qualification requires working in a hairdressing environment which involves:
- working for long hours standing and moving
- working in a high-pressure environment
- frequently reaching to cut or style hair
- frequently engaging with haircutting scissors, texturing and thinning shears
- frequently using chemicals, disinfectant products, lubricants and coolants
- frequently engaging with chemicals, adhesives, and electric clippers
- working with sharps equipment and tools for regular tasks.
Even though it is not a mandatory requirement, given the current required workplace skills and attributes, we recommend that learners have technical skills such as the following:
- hair designing and hair colouring with the use of chemical and chemical reformation
- digital literacy
- computer skills
- customer service
- sales skills.
Valid USI number is required. Ask us if you require any assistance in creating it on your behalf.
Valid and current email address
No work placement is required for this qualification.
REACH acknowledges that our learners may require flexibility in how they pay their fees.
To support our learners, we offer a structured Payment Plan which could be discussed.
You have the flexibility to make payments as per an agreed amount and duration. Please note that REACH does not accept any payment of fees over $1500 at a time.
If you enrol under a government subsidised option, your fees will be in accordance with the funding requirements as defined by the relevant funding body.
Please speak to the enrolment officer for further details.
*If you are not eligible for government funding, please contact our support team for other options
Flexible Training Options
- Classroom based
- Workplace based
Our National Presence
- Greater Sydney region
- Hunter & Maitland region
- Riverina region
- ACT – Belconnen, Queanbeyan
- WA – Mandurah, Perth
*Not all courses are offered from all locations. Please check at the time of application.
Learn from the Experts
All trainers are experienced industry practitioners.
Government Subsidised Training
*Not all courses are offered under all of the above mentioned government subsidised options. Please check at the time of application.Eligibility criteria apply.