SIT30821 – Certificate III in Commercial Cookery
This qualification reflects the role of cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
Potential Career Outcomes:
- Sous Chef
- Chef Partie
Who could enrol
This course is suitable for a variety of learners such as:
- Those who would like to obtain new skills and knowledge, including those who are changing careers
- Those who wish to obtain a qualification in order to gain employment in the hospitality industry
- Those employed within the hospitality industry and wish to obtain a qualification and/or have their skills recognised.
This qualification includes 25 units of competency which comprises of 20 Core and 5 Elective units. Elective units have been carefully selected based on the industry consultation to ensure the learner achieves the desired vocational outcomes of the course.
Units of Competency
- SITHCCC023 Use food preparation equipment
- SITHCCC027 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
- SITHCCC028 Prepare appetisers and salads
- SITHCCC029 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
- SITHCCC030 Prepare vegetable, fruit, egg and farinaceous dishes
- SITHCCC031 Prepare vegetarian and vegan dishes
- SITHCCC035 Prepare poultry dishes
- SITHCCC036 Prepare meat dishes
- SITHCCC037 Prepare seafood dishes
- SITHCCC041 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
- SITHCCC042 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
- SITHCCC043 Work effectively as a cook
- SITHKOP009 Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- SITHKOP010 Plan and cost recipes
- SITHPAT016 Produce desserts
- SITXFSA005 Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA006 Participate in safe food handling practices
- SITXHRM007 Coach others in job skills
- SITXINV006 Receive, store and maintain stock
- SITXWHS005 Participate in safe work practices
- SITHCCC025 Prepare and present sandwiches
- SITHCCC026 Package prepared foodstuffs
- SITHCCC040 Prepare and serve cheese
- SITXCCS014 Provide service to customers
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
The above elective units have been selected based on the industry requirements and in relation to the vocational outcome. REACH for Training may consider offering other preferred elective units based on the applicable training package requirements.
Up to 36 months
Study commitment required:
We recommend a learner would require a minimum of 35-45 hours of commitment per week to complete this qualification. This includes participation in class, homework and self-study, work placement, assignment activities and assessments.
Training delivery method:
Training is only delivered through the Traineeship/Apprenticeship program which is on-the-job training.
No work placement required for this qualification.
Written assessment, Role Plays, Project, Practical exercises, Workplace Observations.
Minimum 18 Years
- Year 10 or equivalent; or
- Minimum 1-year work experience communicating in English
Completion of LLN Assessment at Level 3 of Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF)
- Year 12 or equivalent; or
- Completed a Certificate II or higher;
This course equips you with knowledge and skills required to provide services to people within a restaurant, hotel or café setting. It includes mandatory work placement in one of the mentioned hospitality settings where the daily activities include performing tasks standing and moving for long hours, working in a high-pressure environment, frequently engaging in manual handling tasks and working with equipment and tools for regular tasks.
This course is offered in a blended mode and the learning resources are accessible online through our Learning Management System. To ensure access to the learning resources, you would require:
- a Personal Computer/Laptop/Tablet or any Mobile device
- appropriate software e.g. Microsoft Office to engage with the learning and assessment
- High speed internet connectivity
- Audio-visual tools to engage with the interactive video materials
- Basic computer skills to engage with the LMS and in live online learning sessions
Valid USI number is required. Ask us if you require any assistance in creating it on your behalf
Valid and current email address
No work placement required for this qualification.
REACH acknowledges that our learners may require flexibility in how they pay their fees. To support our learners, we offer a structured Payment Plan which could be discussed
You have the flexibility to make payments as per an agreed amount and duration. Please note that REACH does not accept any payment of fees over $1500 at a time.
If you enrol under a government subsidised option, your fees will be in accordance with the funding requirements as defined by the relevant funding body.
Please speak to the enrolment officer for further details.
*If you are not eligible for government funding, please contact our support team for other options
Flexible Training Options
- Classroom based
- Workplace based
Our National Presence
- Greater Sydney region
- Hunter & Maitland region
- Riverina region
- ACT – Belconnen, Queanbeyan
- WA – Mandurah, Perth
*Not all courses are offered from all locations. Please check at the time of application.
Learn from the Experts
All trainers are experienced industry practitioners.
Government Subsidised Training
*Not all courses are offered under all of the above mentioned government subsidised options. Please check at the time of application. Eligibility criteria apply.